Health and wellbeing

On this page:

Earthquake Support Coordinators

Earthquake Support Coordinators are available to assist people navigate their way through the wide range of services involved in rebuilding people's homes and lives. The coordinators work with you to access as little or as much help as you need.

Earthquake Support Coordinators can meet with you anywhere you choose - your home, place of work, or other location. They can:

  • provide information
  • identify services to assist with earthquake-related housing, finance, legal, insurance and health matters
  • organise meetings between you and the experts.

The assistance is free and confidential.

Call 0800 777 846

Canterbury Support Line

If you, your family or friends need support call the support line to be connected to free and confidential services. The Helpline can help with your questions, give information, and connect you with free counselling services or organisations that can offer you practical support, information or advice. You can also be connected with an Earthquake Support Coordinator.

Call 0800 777 846

Your health

For earthquake related health updates and messages please visit the Canterbury HealthInfo website.

More health information:

Support and Counselling Services helpline

  • If you are finding it hard to cope and need support you can ring the Quake Support and Counselling Services Helpline on 0800 777 846.
  • When you call this helpline, someone will talk with you and help work out what kind of support you may need. They can connect you with free counselling services or organisations that can offer you practical support, information or advice.
  • A list of available social support services is also available online. Visit for details.

Family violence information line

The 0800 Family Violence Information Line provides information and connects you with local services. It operates every day and is open from 9am- 11pm. Call 0800 456 450.

  • Disasters can be tough on relationships but resorting to violence is never OK.
  • In the wake of the earthquake, it's more important than ever for people to ask for help if they are experiencing violence in their family.
  • In an emergency, ring the Police on 111.

Settlement support for new migrants

  • Immigration New Zealand funds the Canterbury Employers Chamber of Commerce to provide settlement support for new migrants to Christchurch, and for their employers.
  • You can contact Settlement Support in Christchurch by email or phone 0800 776 948 or (03) 353 4162 (for Christchurch callers) or visiting
  • Language Line is available on the Earthquake Government Helpline 0800 779 997 for non-English speakers.

Maori support services

For Iwi, Maori and Pacific support, please contact:

Community Energy Action

Free energy advice and assistance with keep warm at home.

Visit the Community Energy Action website for details.