Support and assistance

A range of support and assistance services is available to help you with earthquake-related matters. Ideally you should find out about and/or use some of these options to try to sort out your issues before you contact the Residential Advisory Service.

If you’re not sure if you can use the free RAS service, find out more about who can use RAS.

The support and assistance services available are as follows:

In this section there’s information about temporary accommodation options, affordable section development projects for residential red zone homeowners and a collection of useful links covering different property types and situations, including rentals.

Health and wellbeing
In this section there is an overview about the Earthquake Support Coordinators. The Coordinators provide free assistance to people navigating their way through the wide range of services available.

The health and wellbeing services and links covered here include:

  • various options for counselling and support services, including for Māori, new migrants, and those affected by family violence
  • energy advice and assistance with keeping warm at home
  • handling food and drink during an emergency

Community organisations

The below information provides links to websites that can inform you of local community activities and events as well as innovative community initiatives taking place in your community.

Stronger Christchurch Infrastructure Rebuild Team (SCIRT)

Stronger Christchurch Infrastructure Rebuild Team (SCIRT) is rebuilding the city’s earthquake damaged roads, fresh water, wastewater and stormwater networks. Visit the website to see what works are planned and to you informed about what's happening in your neighbourhood. 
For more information see:

CINCH (Community INformation Christchurch)

CINCH (Community INformation Christchurch) is an online community directory of community organisations, clubs and continuing education course providers in the greater Christchurch area.
For more information see: is a free on-line events calendar for Christchurch and Canterbury, that promotes what is going on in the city - and its neighbouring districts.
For more information see:

Gap Filler

Gap Filler is a creative urban regeneration initiative that aims to temporarily activate vacant sites within Christchurch with creative projects for community benefit, to make for a more interesting, dynamic and vibrant city.
For more information see:

Greening the Rubble

Greening the Rubble is a community project aimed at creating temporary public parks and gardens on sites of demolished buildings, usually in commercial rather than residential streets.
For more information see:

Community Energy Action

Community Energy Action is a Christchurch based charitable trust that works to keep our community warm. They offer subsidised insulation and heating grants, free and impartial energy advice and free recycled curtains for those on low incomes. Some energy efficiency products are available from their website, including Do-It-Yourself window insulation.
For more information see: